Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Mekong Delta

Our day trip to the Mekong Delta was the 
highlight of our weekend in Saigon.



The floating market was delightful:


I loved the bright red of the lychees on sale.



Enjoying the boat ride to the various islands, 
our first stop was Unicorn island for lunch:


Very unique meal of puffed glutinous rice ball, 
crunchy on the outside, gooey and sweet inside.
Elephant fish was gorgeous, our server cut it all 
up and rolled them into fresh spring rolls.



Now we know why the rice paper has a pattern on it - 
they are dried on braided palm trees.
We love A-ha moments when we travel!


Our boat was too large to enter the canals 
and waterways of the Mekong Delta,
so we continued by canoe to see local 
village life and more rice paddies.


3 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks like you guys are having a fun adventure together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome. I love this last pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned at least three new things due to this story. Wow I want to try that food, but first I want to ride through the markets and work up an appetite.
    I might have to ask you to send me a photo of two of these...great painting ideas....the photo of you an Mateo in front of the boat is wonderful. Aren't you glad you are both small and can get in and out easily!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete