Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Malay wedding celebration

Our friend Ali invited us to his son's wedding. I was so excited to receive the elaborate purple and violet invite! The invitation said 11am to 5pm so I asked what time are we REALLY supposed to go, and we learned the party starts when the groom arrives (in this case 2pm). Look at these darling girls in their traditional Malay outfits:


On each table there was a teapot and bowl....I was wondering what it was for....then I saw people using it to wash their hands before and after they had eaten...so clever!


I thought the party favors were adorable - hard-boiled eggs in a silver cage. I asked what it represented, and of course - FERTILITY!


The women look beautiful in their selendang scarves:

Ali with his wife and two children (groom's family) all dressed in fuscia:

We were so honored to be invited and included in the family celebration.



I'm not quite sure what this troupe was for at the wedding, maybe they performed but we must have missed it, but the colors are really cool:

4 comments:

  1. What a fun celebration and experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this wedding. What an amazing experience! The other post is so sweet too. I love your two cute little boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What could be more of a learning, cultural experience than participating in a wedding different from the way Americans/Europeans do it. Just so very traditional...loved the eggs all decorated. You have some great photos for us to observe other customs through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Borrow money here today at 3% interest rate. My company offer all kind of financial services at 3% interest rate and

    our services is 100% guarantee and risk free. to Apply, contact my company with the required information bellow via

    Email: sawda.finance@gmail.com

    Full Name:
    Amount needed:
    Duration:
    Country :
    Contact address:

    as soon as we receive these information, we would start with the processing of your required amount immediately.

    Announcer.

    ReplyDelete