Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ella is so Filipina!

Ella had the guts to try BALUT!!! I have NEVER eaten it. This is what balut looks like - basically an egg that is a half-formed chick. It's a real delicacy.


Ella loved making new friends at church. She got along great w/ all the girl cousins (your second, third etc cousins are considered cousins, there is never reference to first, second etc) b/c if you're family, you are FAMILY.

Ella loved coconut (buko) juice and mangoes, and all the desserts and street foods I love.



A Christmas favorite is Puto Bung Bung - a rice dessert that is smoked in a coal contraption - wraped in banana leaves and served with grated coconut. I used to eat this as a little girl when my grandmother would take us to Midnight Mass at the Catholic church down the street. Of course I had to drag Mateo to midnight mass to experience it all.




I have so many favorite foods when I am home, but one I get VERY excited about is the TAHO man. You get silken tofu in a cup and he pours sweet sugary syrup and tapioca balls on top. He goes around the neighborhood shouting TAHO and it's DELISH!


No comments:

Post a Comment