Saturday, January 1, 2011

Christmas in the Philippines

This is my childhood home in Lagro Novaliches. When I was a little girl, it was only one level, and the water only ran certain hours of the day, otherwise we'd pump it by hand. More recently, my mom added a second level and I was delighted to see that all the toilets flushed anytime of the day! However, showers are still cold and my kids thought that was FUN as they took a Filipino shower using a bucket and ladle.


My cousin Reneth and my mom organized a reunion that was kid-friendly, complete with a clown show, Christmas games, ice cream and cotton candy stalls, and video karaoke all day and night.



Pabitin (to hang) is definitely my all-time favorite Filipino party game, my kids thought it was the coolest idea!


There is always a lechon (roasted pig) at all Filipino celebrations. When Niko saw it his eyes grew big and he asked me, "What's his name?" and I answered, "Lechon". Then he asked me, "WHO KILLED HIM??!!"


When Filipino families gather, you eat all day and night. People don't come visit for one meal but for several meals throughout the day. They always come laden with "pasalubongs" - gifts of food and sweets. My mom is from Pampanga which is known for the best food, so the relatives came with regional favorites like "suman" and "kalamay" - glutinous rice cakes that I love.



This is my sister Alma and I with cousin Ethel and Ate Jeng Jeng. I am particularly close to Ethel b/c she and I are the same age. We spent our childhood singing karaoke songs so it was fun to relive the good old days. I love my mom's side of the family b/c they are so humble, kind-hearted, pure, hardworking and thoughtful.


You may think this is a lot of people, but this is only about 1/4 of my mom's side of the family. Many have migrated to the USA, Canada, New Zealand and Finland. We missed everyone who was not there, but it was wonderful to see those who are still in the country. I find it amazing that years will fly by, but those family ties and your family roots are STRONG as can be!

2 comments:

  1. LOVED the recap of your Filipino Christmas! So fun to see family photos (I love the one with you and Alma and cousins) and read your thoughts about your people and home. Can't wait to take our kids there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah! How come I didn't know you had a blog? What an awesome family! That's a gathering I'd like to be at. The food looks AMAZING and look at all those gorgeous children. Fun!

    ReplyDelete